[brightly colored gifts]
[yummy (and festive) candy]
[the famous (but super sweet) cadbury creme egg]
[cheerful flowers: mini daffodils and tuplips]
[a gorgeously wrapped chocolate egg]
[seven-layer cookies via a family friend]
What is it about holidays that makes you overindulge? No matter how you plan, it always seems like you've had too much food, too many sweets, or too much relaxing when everything's said and done. Of course there's always the day after to recuperate–although things are a bit different if the holiday in question is Easter and you happen to be in Italy where the Monday after Easter Sunday is "La Pasquetta," a further extension of the holiday's celebrating. Festivities include eating leftovers al fresco, a tradition that actually might be possible today in NYC, where temperatures are supposed to reach 60 degrees (fingers crossed!).
What do you think? How was your Easter weekend?
Enter my latest GIVEAWAY to win a pair of jeans here!
I still can't believe it's Easter weekend already–though winter drags, time sure does fly. I like to think of anything involving coconut (food, drinks, suntan lotion) as super spring/summery, so I thought these light and fluffy cupcakes that have the shredded white stuff inside and out would be a perfect holiday treat. They're vegan (though I'm not), which means no eggs, milk or butter are involved in their creation. To make them even more festive I enacted a decoration I first spotted on Pinterest: using this set of rabbit silhouettes, I traced outlines on plain white paper, affixed the cut-out forms to toothpicks with tape, and centered them on each one from the batch. Welcome spring–we've been expecting you.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoon coconut milk (or water)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, set aside.
2. Sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients.
3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and whisk until just combined, being careful not to over-mix. Fold in 1 cup of unsweetened coconut.
4. Fill each muffin tin about two-thirds full. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from the muffin tin and place on a cooling rack.
5. Mix all icing ingredients until smooth and spreadable. Frost when the cupcakes have completely cooled, sprinkling additional unsweetened coconut on top.