I'm always looking for easy but impressive side dish and appetizer recipes. These stuffed mushrooms are definitely a crowd-pleaser. I've tried filling mushrooms with all sorts of flavor combinations but this is by far my favorite. The stuffing is both easy to throw together and complex, with moist breadcrumbs, plump clam meat, and flavorful herbs and cheeses. Make sure you cover the tray properly–the key to cooking this dish is to let everything steam for its long bake-time.
Enter a brand-new GIVEAWAY to win a $50 gift certificate to Ettika Jewelry here!
12 fresh mushrooms, stemmed and washed
2 6-ounce cans clams, drained and finely minced
1/2 cup of clam juice, reserved from can
2 green onions, finely minced
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup breadcrumbs
1.5 teaspoons oregano leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoon finely grated romano cheese
4 tablespoons finely grated mozzarella cheese, for stuffing
1/2 cup finely grated mozzarella cheese, for garnish
1/2 cup olive oil
fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a small baking dish.
2. Combine clams, onions, garlic powder, minced garlic, oil and oregano in a bowl and mix well. Add bread crumbs, egg, and clam juice,mixing well. Add Parmesan, Romano, and Mozzarella cheeses.
4. Place approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons of the clam stuffing mixture inside mushroom cavity and slightly mound.
5. Place the stuffed mushrooms in the baking dish and pour 1/4 olive oil over their tops. Cover and bake for about 40 minutes.
6. Remove cover; sprinkle with 1/4 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese and return to the oven to melt the cheese.
7. Remove from oven. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve hot.