This is a recipe that you’ll want to remember the next time you need to throw together a dessert that is not only simple and foolproof but is also impressive and unpretentious. Coffee cake is delicious—what’s not to love about a moist yellow cake topped with a spiced crumb topping (with, might I add, no butter involved)? While the dessert’s name implies that it’s meant to be eaten with a certain hot beverage, I could snack on this sweet treat any time of the day and with any accompaniments.
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons cinnamon
A pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup milk (whole or skim)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. In small mixing bowl combine topping ingredients, blending with fork until crumbly. Set aside.
2. Sift 1 1/2 cups sifted flour with baking powder and salt into a bowl.
3. In a medium bowl, beat together beaten egg and 3/4 cup sugar and oil.
4. Add milk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and mix well.
5. Pour batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square or 9-inch layer-cake pan. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over batter.
6. Bake at 375° for about 30 minutes, or until cake tests done. Partially cool in pan on wire rack and slice.